Thursday, May 15, 2014

They Grow So Fast

I was prompted by an incident in my kitchen this morning to remind myself why I do what I do. Why do I clean the house? Why do I prepare meals? Why do I train the children in righteousness?

Of course, I do those things because it is my duty to do them, but isn't there something in it for me? Yes. I get to enjoy my family.  So I remind myself that a clean, organized home is not the goal, it is a means for making a comfortable place to be with my family.

I must not forget to enjoy my family! I enjoy my oldest daughter more now, when I rarely see her, than I did when she lived at home. That is partly because she was not necessarily easy or fun to be around, but I'm sure much of that was my fault because I didn't make it a priority to enjoy her company. If I had, perhaps I would have done things differently.

So today I recommit my efforts to love and be delighted with the presence of my children who are still living at home and with my husband.  There will be plenty of time for an orderly quiet home when they are gone.

No comments: